At Atlanta Dental Spa, our primary focus is your health and wellness. Our top dentists evaluate your needs, taking into consideration your medical history, dental history, contributing or risk factors, and personal desires for your smile.
One of the ways we keep you at optimal health is by protecting you against the bacterial assault that occurs daily in your mouth. For many patients, even with healthy mouths, this requires getting cleanings three times a year instead of two.
Why do insurance companies only cover two cleanings?
- The concept of getting dental cleanings twice a year stemmed from toothpaste advertising campaigns back in the 1930’s and 40’s which promoted getting dental check up and cleanings every 6 months.
- The dental insurance companies adopted that regimen into their coverages in the 1950’s and unfortunately, have not changed their stance since. That is surprising considering that 80% of the adult population suffers from periodontal disease.
So why do I need three cleanings?
- When you come for your cleanings, your hygienist is able to remove the buildup of plaque and tarter that accumulates around your gum line.
- This includes the bad bacteria which contribute to the buildup, bad breath and the formation of gum disease. The accumulation depends on your personal hygiene habits, genetic disposition, mineral content in your saliva and diet.
- What we know about the bad bacteria is that it takes about three months to establish a colony in your mouth and by the fourth month, they are in full production of the bi-products or toxins that attack your enamel and gums.
- By doing three cleanings a year, we are able to interrupt this cycle and keep you at optimal health. It also allows for early detection of any possible decay formation which now (with the help of some technologically advanced products), we can reverse.
So what should I do?
Our top Atlanta dentists won’t let your insurance coverage dictate your cleaning intervals. We strive to consider all factors that affect your dental health and make our recommendations with the ultimate goal of total health and wellness for you.
We understand that this means you might have to come out of pocket for the additional cleaning, and so we give our recommendation based on your risks and let you make the choice! Come see us for your regularly scheduled cleaning and we’ll be happy to make an assessment and recommendation for you!